The West African Gas Pipeline Company Limited (WAPCo) is a West African multinational company that owns and operates the West African Gas Pipeline (WAGP). The WAGP is a 678-kilometer (421-mile) natural gas pipeline that transports natural gas from Nigeria to Benin, Togo, and Ghana. WAPCo is a joint venture between the governments of Nigeria, Benin, Togo, and Ghana.
History of WAPCo
WAPCo was incorporated in 2000 and the WAGP was completed in 2008. The pipeline began commercial operation in 2011.
Vision and Mission of WAPCo
WAPCo’s vision is to be the leading provider of reliable and affordable natural gas transportation services in West Africa. Its mission is to contribute to the economic development of West Africa by providing a reliable and affordable source of energy.
WAPCo’s Host Communities
WAPCo’s host communities are those communities that are located within a two-kilometer radius of its on-shore facilities, namely, the pipeline, the Regulating and Metering (R&M) Stations and the Compressor Station. In all, a total of about 54 communities were identified as having been impacted by WAGP construction activities.
WAPCo Host Communities in Nigeria
WAPCo has 33 host communities in Nigeria, located in the Ogun and Lagos States.
- Tori Lovi
WAPCo’s Commitment to its Host Communities
WAPCo is committed to the sustainable development of its host communities. It has a number of community development programs in place to support its host communities, including:
- WAPCo’s Community Livelihood Support Programme: This program provides scholarships to brilliant young people in WAPCo’s host communities to further their education or pursue a vocation of their choice.
- WAPCo’s Medical Outreach Programs: WAPCo regularly organizes medical outreach programs in its host communities to provide free medical care to residents.
- Other WAPCo CSR Initiatives: WAPCo also supports its host communities through other CSR initiatives such as the provision of potable water, construction of schools and healthcare facilities, and support for women and youth empowerment programs.
WAPCo is a responsible corporate citizen that is committed to the sustainable development of its host communities. It has a number of community development programs in place to support its host communities in areas such as education, healthcare, and economic empowerment
What are the benefits of being a WAPCo host community?
WAPCo host communities benefit from a number of initiatives, including:
- Scholarships for brilliant young people to further their education or pursue a vocation of their choice.
- Free medical care through medical outreach programs.
- Provision of potable water, construction of schools and healthcare facilities, and support for women and youth empowerment programs.
- Employment opportunities for community members.
- Payment of royalties to community governments.
How can WAPCo host communities access the benefits of being a host community?
WAPCo host communities can access the benefits of being a host community by participating in WAPCo’s community development programs and by contacting WAPCo to inquire about employment opportunities and royalty payments.
What are the challenges faced by WAPCo host communities?
WAPCo host communities face a number of challenges, including:
- Environmental pollution caused by the WAGP pipeline.
- Land encroachment by WAPCo.
- Lack of access to basic amenities such as clean water and healthcare.
- Unemployment and poverty.
What is WAPCo doing to address the challenges faced by its host communities?
WAPCo is committed to addressing the challenges faced by its host communities. It is working with its host communities to develop and implement sustainable development plans. WAPCo is also investing in community development programs to improve the lives of its host communities.
How can the Nigerian government support WAPCo in its efforts to develop its host communities?
The Nigerian government can support WAPCo in its efforts to develop its host communities by:
- Providing financial resources to WAPCo to implement its community development programs.
- Providing technical support to WAPCo in developing and implementing its sustainable development plans.
- Enforcing environmental regulations to protect the environment in WAPCo’s host communities.
- Working with WAPCo to ensure that host communities benefit from the economic activities of the WAGP.