Studying abroad is an incredible opportunity for Nigerian students to expand their horizons, gain a global perspective, and enhance their career prospects. However, the financial burden of studying abroad can be a major obstacle for many Nigerian students. This is where scholarships come in. Scholarships can provide students with the financial assistance they need to make their dreams of studying abroad a reality.
Importance of Studying Abroad for Nigerian Students
There are many reasons why Nigerian students should consider studying abroad. Studying abroad can help students:
- Gain a global perspective: Studying abroad exposes students to different cultures, languages, and perspectives. This can help them to become more culturally sensitive and better understand the world around them.
- Enhance their career prospects: Studying abroad can give students a competitive edge in the job market. Employers increasingly value international experience and skills.
- Develop new skills and knowledge: Studying abroad can help students to develop new skills and knowledge that are relevant to their chosen field of study.
- Build a network of international contacts: Studying abroad can help students to build a network of international contacts, which can be beneficial for their future career and personal life.
Types of Scholarships Available for Nigerian Students
There are a variety of scholarships available for Nigerian students who want to study abroad. These scholarships can be sponsored by governments, universities, private organizations, or foundations.
The Nigerian government offers a number of scholarships for Nigerian students who want to study abroad. These scholarships are typically awarded to students who are pursuing degrees in fields that are relevant to Nigeria’s development.
Many universities around the world offer scholarships to international students, including Nigerian students. These scholarships are typically awarded to students who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership potential.
There are also a number of private scholarships available for Nigerian students. These scholarships are often sponsored by corporations, foundations, or individuals.
A number of foundations offer scholarships to Nigerian students who want to study abroad. These scholarships are typically awarded to students who are pursuing degrees in specific fields, such as science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Eligibility Criteria for Scholarships
The eligibility criteria for scholarships will vary depending on the specific scholarship. However, there are some common eligibility criteria, such as:
- Academic performance
- English proficiency
- Financial need
- Leadership potential
- Community involvement
Application Process for Scholarships
The application process for scholarships will also vary depending on the specific scholarship. However, there are some common steps, such as:
- Researching scholarships: The first step is to research scholarships that you are eligible for. There are a number of online resources that can help you with this, such as ScholarshipUniverse and ScholarshipsPortal.
- Completing application forms: Once you have found a few scholarships that you are interested in, you will need to complete the application forms. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and answer all of the questions.
- Writing essays: Many scholarships require applicants to write essays. These essays are an opportunity to showcase your experiences, skills, and goals.
- Gathering recommendation letters: You will also need to gather recommendation letters from teachers, professors, or other professionals who can attest to your academic ability and character.
- Preparing for interviews: Some scholarships may require applicants to interview. Be sure to practice answering common interview questions and dress professionally for your interview
Top Scholarships for Nigerian Students
There are a number of prestigious scholarships available for Nigerian students who want to study abroad. Some of the most popular scholarships include:
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Fullbright Program
- Chevening Scholarship
- Swedish Scholarship for International Students
- Clarendon Scholarships at University of Oxford (UK)
- Ivan D Jankovic PhD Studentship (for any nationality)
- Wellcome Sanger Institute 4-Year PhD Studentships
- University of Sweden International Scholarship
- American Insttute for Foreign Study
- Kanders Churchill
- PhD Programme Scholarship for Health Practitioner
- University of Maastricht High Potential Scholarships (Netherlands)
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarship Program (Switzerland)
- Jesus College Harvard-Cambridge Scholarship: John Eliot
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship
- Cultural Experiences Abroad
- Warwick Chancellor’s International Scholarships (UK)
- EMBL International PhD Studentships
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees
- Westminster Full International Scholarships (UK)
- Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (Netherlands)
- TU Delft Excellence Scholarships (Netherlands)
- International Leader of Tomorrow Award at the University of British Columbia (Canada)
- Malati Kanbur Fund
- Yale University Scholarships USA
- QS Leadership Scholarship
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto (Canada)
- Peterhouse Postgraduate Studentship Competition
- Adelaide Scholarships International
- Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship
- Erik Bleumink Scholarships at the University of Groningen (Netherlands)
- Great Wall Program
- Marshall Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Schwarzman Scholarship
- Knight-Hennessey Scholars
- Churchill Scholarship
- Euraxess UK
- The Royal Society Grants
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Chinese Government Scholarships
- Cambridge Political Economy Society Trust 3 year Research Scholarship
- QS Undergraduate Scholarship
- MEXT Scholarship Japan
- International Leader of Tomorrow Award at the University of British Columbia
- Japan and the World Graduate Scholarships
- Croucher Cambridge International Scholarship
- Shell Postgraduate Scholarship Schemes
- Bangkok Government Scholarship
Benefits of Studying Abroad
In addition to the personal and professional benefits, there are also a number of financial benefits to studying abroad. Scholarships can help students to cover the cost of tuition, accommodation, and travel. They can also provide students with a stipend to help them with living expenses.
Challenges of Studying Abroad
Of course, there are also some challenges to studying abroad. These can include:
- Culture shock: Adjusting to a new culture can be a challenge for many students.
- Language barriers: Students who do not speak the language of the country they are studying in may face language barriers.
- Homesickness: Students may experience homesickness while they are away from home.
- Financial worries: Even with scholarships, students may still have financial worries.
Universities that offer Full Scholarships to Nigerian Students
Here is the list of Universities that offer full scholarships to Nigerian students;
- University of Toronto
- Harvard University
- Michigan State University
- Duke University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Cambridge University
- Imperial College London
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Leeds
- Swedish Institute
- University of Chicago
- University of Cambridge
- Califonia Institure of Technology
- University of Oxford
- Imperial College London
- University of Virginia
- King’s College London
- University of Michigan
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- University College London (UCL)
- Boston University
- University of Bristol
- Aberystwyth University
- Aston University
- University of Oxford
- Bangor University
- University of Wolverhampton
- Bath Spa University
- University of Warwick
- Bishop Grosseteste University
- University of Leicester
- Bournemouth University
- University of Portsmouth
- Brunel University London
- Coventry University
- University of Leeds
- Cranfield University
- Durham University
- University of Nottingham
- Falmouth University
- University of Southampton
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- King’s College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- Liverpool Hope University
- University of Derby
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Oxford Brookes University
- University of Glasgow
- Newcastle University
- University of Exeter
- Queen Margaret University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Chester
Other universities abroad also offer scholarships for Nigerian students.
Tips for Successfully Applying for Scholarships
Here are a few tips for successfully applying for scholarships:
- Start early: The application process for many scholarships can be lengthy, so it is important to start early.
- Be prepared to provide documentation: You will need to provide a number of documents with your scholarship applications, such as transcripts, recommendation letters, and proof of financial need.
- Proofread your application materials: Be sure to proofread your application materials carefully for any errors.
- Follow up after submitting your application: After you have submitted your application, it is a good idea to follow up with the scholarship provider to make sure that they have received your application.
Scholarships can provide Nigerian students with the financial assistance they need to make their dreams of studying abroad a reality. With careful planning and preparation, Nigerian students can successfully apply for and win scholarships that will help them to achieve their academic and personal goals.