Embarking on a study abroad journey can be transformative, opening doors to new knowledge, skills, and cultural experiences. For Nigerian students, India presents a compelling destination, offering a unique blend of affordability, quality education, and vibrant culture. With numerous scholarship opportunities available, pursuing your academic aspirations in India becomes an even more attainable dream.
Why Study in India?
India boasts a reputation for excellence in education, with universities consistently ranking high in global standings. This, coupled with significantly lower tuition fees compared to Western institutions, makes India an attractive option for budget-conscious students. Additionally, the country offers a wide range of academic programs, catering to diverse interests across various disciplines. But the benefits extend beyond academics. Studying in India allows you to immerse yourself in a rich and ancient culture, gaining invaluable exposure to different customs, traditions, and perspectives. This immersion fosters personal growth and broadens your worldview, preparing you for success in an increasingly interconnected global landscape.
Types of Indian Scholarships for Nigerians
Fortunately, numerous scholarship opportunities exist to help Nigerian students finance their studies in India. These scholarships can be broadly categorized into three main types:
- Government Scholarships: Offered by the Indian government through organizations like the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and the Africa Day Scholarship Scheme, these scholarships cover a significant portion of tuition fees and living expenses.
- University Scholarships: Many Indian universities offer merit-based and need-based scholarships specifically for international students, including Nigerians. Some notable examples include Amity University Scholarships, Manipal University Jaipur Scholarships, and SRM Institute of Science and Technology Scholarships.
- Private Scholarships: Several private organizations and foundations offer scholarships for Nigerian students studying in India. Examples include the Tata Scholarship, Reliance Foundation Scholarships, and Jindal Scholarships.
Eligibility Criteria and Application Process
While eligibility criteria vary depending on the specific scholarship, some general requirements include:
- Being a Nigerian citizen
- Meeting academic requirements (e.g., minimum GPA)
- Having a valid language proficiency certificate (if applicable)
Indian Scholarships for Nigerian Students
Here is the list of Indian scholarship opportunities available to Nigerian students;
- TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme for Developing Countries
- IISc International PhD/MSc Fellowships
- Indian School of Business – ISB Merit Waivers in India
- Nalander University Master Fellowship for Foreign Students
- SIU – ICCR Joint Scholarship for Developing Countries
- ITEC/SCAAP Scholarship Program
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme for Developing Countries
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), in conjunction with the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology in India, offers the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship for students from developing countries around the world, including Nigeria.
The fellowship aims to aid international students who desire to focus on research in biotechnology.
Nigerian students selected would be given a monthly stipend which would cater for their living expenses, including housing, food and healthcare services.
Note that this stipend cannot be converted to Nigerian Naira.
Applicants would be selected based on the following criteria:
- They must not be above 35 years on December 31 of the year of application.
- Be citizens of a developing country apart from India.
- They must not have any visa for temporary residency or PR in India or any developed country.
- Have a Master’s or equivalent degree in either science or engineering.
- In the case of SANDWICH, Fellowships must be registered PhD students in their home country (Nigeria in this case) and submit the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the university they attended.
For FULL-TIME Fellowships, they must desire to enrol at an Indian university.
- Be enrolled at an Indian biotechnology institution.
- Submit a research proposal outline.
- Submit evidence of proficiency in English in some instances.
- Submit proof that s/he will return to their home country after completing the fellowship.
- They must not be involved in any assignments for the duration of the fellowship.
- Financially provide for any accompanying family members.
Application Deadline: September
IISc International PhD/MSc Fellowships
IISc International PhD/MSc Fellowship is available for all nationalities seeking to pursue a Master’s or PhD degree in any field the institute offers.
This scholarship is provided by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and applicants selected would receive total funding, up to Rs.54,000 + HRA+ research grant of Rs.3 Lakhs annually.
Foreign applicants, including Nigerians, are only eligible to apply for the PhD programme or an M.Sc.(Engg) programme and not the integrated PhD programme, ME/MTech programme, the undergraduate programme, etc., are reserved for Indians.
Applicants for this fellowship would be selected based on the following criteria:
- All applications must be made with a PDF form that can be filled out.
- They must also contact a member of the institute’s faculty that can host them and is willing to provide a consent letter or mail.
- The following documents are needed during the application process:
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of all published works.
- PDF files that contain two and up to five essential publications.
- Proposed research plan.
- Consent letter or email from a faculty member of the institute.
- Any other relevant information the applicant may wish to present.
Application Deadline: Not Specified
Indian School of Business – ISB Merit Waivers in India
Indian School of Business offers ISB Merit Waivers in India, to international students, including Nigerians who desire to enrol in a postgraduate management program. Sixteen waivers would be awarded during the program, and the selection process is based on merit.
Successful applicants would receive up to a 75% tuition fee waiver.
Applicants must be willing to register for a one-year Post Graduate Programme in Management run by ISB.
To be eligible, you must have rich work experience, a good mastery of English and a good GRE or GMAT score.
Application Deadline – Not Specified
Nalander University Master Fellowship for Foreign Students
Nalanda University is looking for international students, including Nigerians, to participate in its Master Fellowship Program.
A wide variety of courses are offered at the university in the fields of history, ecology, philosophy, environment, and comparative religions, and candidates can choose their areas of interest.
Applicants who meet the requirements should have completed their undergraduate degree programs with high academic standing.
The properly completed application form and other needed documents must also provide evidence of English language proficiency.
Also, all applications must be filed every academic year by the end of July. y
Successful candidates may receive a 100% waiver of their tuition in addition to allowances.
Application Deadline: July every year
SIU – ICCR Joint Scholarship for Developing Countries
This scholarship program is focused on international students, including Nigerians.
Candidates must be eligible to undertake a study program at any SIU institute and have a good mastery of the English Language.
An IELTS with a minimum score of 6 or the IELA Test with a minimum band of 3 is accepted.
A full tuition fee waiver, accommodation, and meal allowance will be given to selected candidates.
Students would be chosen based on the following:
- Academic Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation obtained from the Ministry of Higher Education of the respective Country(Nigeria in this case) / The Embassy/High Commission of the Country in India
- Statement of Purpose
- Passport photographs
- Other requirements as laid down.
Application Deadline: Not Specified
ITEC/SCAAP Scholarship Program
For the ITEC/SCAAP Scholarship Program, the Indian government accepts applications by international students, including Nigerians, through the National Institute of Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD).
This scholarship is available to international students who wish to enrol in an Indian training program, such as the previously offered 6-week International Training Program on International Marketing and Global Competitiveness, International Training Program on Rural Enterprise Planning and Promotion, or International Training Program on Women and Youth Entrepreneurship in Water Supply and Sanitation Development.
International students from the ITEC (Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation) nations are eligible applicants, so that Nigerians can apply. Additionally, applicants must be fluent English speakers.
Those awarded ITEC/SCAAP scholarships can access tuition fee waiver, accommodation allowance, monthly stipend (INR 25,000 or $360), and airfare to and from India.
Application Deadline: June every year
Application processes also differ, but typically involve submitting online applications, transcripts, recommendation letters, and other supporting documents. Ensure you adhere to deadlines strictly and carefully review application instructions to avoid disqualifications.
Top Tips for Securing an Indian Scholarship
- Start early and research thoroughly: Begin exploring scholarship options well in advance to understand deadlines and requirements.
- Highlight your academic achievements: Showcase your academic excellence through transcripts, awards, and achievements.
- Craft a compelling personal statement: Express your genuine interest in studying in India and highlight your goals and aspirations.
- Network and seek guidance: Connect with alumni, counselors, and scholarship organizations for valuable insights and support.
With its diverse scholarship landscape and quality education system, India presents an exceptional opportunity for Nigerian students to achieve their academic goals. By diligently researching, preparing a strong application, and taking advantage of available resources, you can turn your dream of studying in India into a reality. So, embark on your scholarship journey today and unlock a world of possibilities in the vibrant land of India!